HercegBosna.org

HercegBosna.org

Forum Hrvata BiH

Sada je: 18 tra 2024, 07:08.

Vremenska zona: UTC + 01:00

Započni novu temu Odgovori  [ 21 post(ov)a ] 
Autor/ica Poruka
 Naslov: Some info for a research on Neum territory on an ethnological point of view
PostPostano: 26 ožu 2014, 11:10 

Hi to all, my name is Damiano Gallinaro, I'm an italian ethnologist and I'm starting a research on Herceg Bosna and particularly on Neum territory from an athropological point of view. I'm interesting to analize the borders problems and naturally the ethnical problems related to the everyday life in this border territory. I'm interesting to analize too the everyday life interaction between croatians and bosniak people in the area.
Can someone help me?
Thanks

Damiano Gallinaro

Vrh

Naslov: Re: Some info for a research on Neum territory on an ethnological point of view
PostPostano: 26 ožu 2014, 12:38 

Pose your questions and I'll try to get you some answers. It will be impossible to do a decent size local survey with large N though.

Vrh

Naslov: Re: Some info for a research on Neum territory on an ethnological point of view
PostPostano: 27 ožu 2014, 09:33 

Thanks !!! I'll wait for your feedback. I'm preparing and abstract of my work in english to submit a this forum, so it will be more clear the goal of my research.
Thanks again

Vrh

PostPostano: 27 ožu 2014, 20:54 

Can you be more specific with your questions?

Crossing the border and getting access to essential services is a problem because it is almost impossible to go anywhere else in Herzegovina (high schools and the hospital in Mostar) without going through Croatia. Just about everyone has Croatian documents, so the actual crossing isn't a hassle, but the queues (in summer) make the whole trip a huge issue.

There has been some work done on a road connecting Neum to Stolac (and onwards to Capljina and Mostar), but at this pace it might not get completed during our lifetime.

There are no ethnic problems on a daily basis by the virtue of the fact that Neum is just about 100% inhabited by Croats. In the summer however, the population of the town at least triples due to an influx of tourists. Because of a long tradition, and the fact that Neum is cheaper than the rest of the Dalmatian coast, the majority of those tourists are Bosnian Muslims. The political situation is far from good in BiH, so it sometimes gets reflected through incidents in summer (occasional fights that might arise due to an insult on an ethnic basis), and last summer, tourists vandalised a Croatian coat-of-arms (symbolising Croat people, not Croatia but some don't see the distinction) painted on the side of a hill. This generated a lot of excitement in the media.

Going back even further, the Muslim government in Sarajevo has had lofty ambitions to potentially build a cargo port in Neum, which they view as their window to those nations friendly to them (Turkey and Saudi Arabia). Realistically, it would be impossible to do this without the approval of the local council and the people, and there is just no money for it (area not suitable for a deepwater port, no way to connect it with a dual carriageway highway and rail), but some still have hopes for it.

The issue of Croatia building a bridge to nearby Peljesac (connecting Croatia so that passengers to Dubrovnik don't have to go through Neum) has been a difficult one. The Bosnian Muslim parties have tried to block the proposal, as they see it jeopardizing the plans for a Neum port in the future (even though the height of the bridge would still allow every type of ship to pass under it), but it looks like it will go ahead. The locals in Neum generally have a favourable view of the bridge.

Vrh

PostPostano: 28 ožu 2014, 19:24 

Thanks for all the news, are really interesting and important for my research. One of the focus of my paper is the everyday life and the perception of the border form the inhabitants of the area. In your answer there's a part of the answer to my question, and naturally also the problematic of Peljesac bridge is important. Can I send you a paper that I wrote in 2006 for a Meeting? Can be a good starting poitnto understand better my point of view. It's possible attache a pdf file in the forum? Or I can send you in your personal mail?
There's another way you and all in the forum can read my paper in english at this link on Academia.edu:

https://www.academia.edu/5257695/Neum_B ... Cadiz_2006

I wrote other papers on this topic in following years but are not still ready for the publication.
Thanks
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 30 ožu 2014, 15:55 

Damiano Gallinaro je napisao/la:
Thanks for all the news, are really interesting and important for my research. One of the focus of my paper is the everyday life and the perception of the border form the inhabitants of the area. In your answer there's a part of the answer to my question, and naturally also the problematic of Peljesac bridge is important. Can I send you a paper that I wrote in 2006 for a Meeting? Can be a good starting poitnto understand better my point of view. It's possible attache a pdf file in the forum? Or I can send you in your personal mail?
There's another way you and all in the forum can read my paper in english at this link on Academia.edu:

https://www.academia.edu/5257695/Neum_B ... Cadiz_2006

I wrote other papers on this topic in following years but are not still ready for the publication.
Thanks
Damiano

Thanks for the link to your paper, I will read it and revert with comments during the week.

Vrh

PostPostano: 31 ožu 2014, 09:08 

Thanks to you !!! I'll wait for your feedback!!!

Vrh

PostPostano: 10 tra 2014, 11:23 

Thanks to you !!! I'll wait for your feedback!!!

Overall, a very interesting paper, with great regard for specific details. Always strange when someone from a foreign country gets on top of a subject that is somewhat obscure even for most people of that region.

Contextually, I am not sure how to categorize the paper. It starts out in a very "matter-of-fact" manner, looking like it will lead you into a geopolitical, or even maritime law paper, only to deftly turn into what looks to be philosophy and literature.

Since I am no philosopher, and a horrible writer, I will have to limit any suggestions to correcting factual errors.

Just an overriding suggestion. Your English is good, but for academic papers, it is probably best to write in your native language and then to get a qualified translator to translate into English.

Just read it:

1. Probably erroneous to refer to Neum as a "seaport" in the intro, as there is no port, not even a boat marina, although later in the text you did qualify it by saying that it in fact has no port of any kind.

2. Don't want to nitpick, but it unfortunately doesn't have "sandy beaches", it varies from small to large pebble, as is typical for majority of beaches on the Croatian side of the Adriatic Coast.

3. I won't make any spelling corrections, but since Peljesac features so prominently, I should point out it's "Peljesac" not "Plejesac".

4. This quote caught my attention: "So how can define this place? Is on Bosnia ground, but nothing is bosniak there. So it‘s correct to say that Neum is Bosnia gate on West Europe?"

Slight issue with this quote. I am not sure if this was supposed to be a rhetorical question, or a "straw man" question that an uninformed person would pose, that you then go on to answer. It wasn't obvious from the follow up to the question.

Certainly, Europe is full of examples where arbitrarily drawn borders mean very little, especially when you have the same ethnic group living on both sides of the border. So basically, any musings as to why Neum isn't more "Bosnian" are misplaced, when you consider the fact that Neum and the people of Neum are really just an extension of immediate surrounds, Klek, Peljesac and Ston (and vice versa). The border is an arbitrary, administrative construct, not Hadrian's wall. You touched on this when you provided a brief historical overview of how Neum came to be where it is today - a simple administrative move by the Dubrovnik Republic.

All in all, very nice paper, and happy to help in any other way.

Vrh

PostPostano: 10 tra 2014, 15:52 

I wanted to add to point 1 regarding Neum as a seaport. Neum historically was up away from the coast. It wasn't until the road came through in the 1960's that Neum came down to the coast and built those hotels, etc.

I think we need to keep reminding those people who keep pushing to build some kind of port in Neum of that fact. We need to dispel the myth of Neum...

Vrh

PostPostano: 10 tra 2014, 16:46 

Ministry of Sound je napisao/la:
4. This quote caught my attention: "So how can define this place? Is on Bosnia ground, but nothing is bosniak there. So it‘s correct to say that Neum is Bosnia gate on West Europe?"

Slight issue with this quote. I am not sure if this was supposed to be a rhetorical question, or a "straw man" question that an uninformed person would pose, that you then go on to answer. It wasn't obvious from the follow up to the question.

Certainly, Europe is full of examples where arbitrarily drawn borders mean very little, especially when you have the same ethnic group living on both sides of the border. So basically, any musings as to why Neum isn't more "Bosnian" are misplaced, when you consider the fact that Neum and the people of Neum are really just an extension of immediate surrounds, Klek, Peljesac and Ston (and vice versa). The border is an arbitrary, administrative construct, not Hadrian's wall. You touched on this when you provided a brief historical overview of how Neum came to be where it is today - a simple administrative move by the Dubrovnik Republic.

Also, he could be more precise with the term and adjective "Bosnian", because Neum is in the Herzegovinian part of country and that is properly described in one part of an article. So, when he reffers to Neum as part of the country (Bosnia and Herzegovina), he could use the adjective "Bosnian and Herzegovinian", and when he reffers to Neum as part of region Herzegovina, he could use the adjective "Herzegovinian".

Also, the description that "Bosniaks are a Southeast European ethnic group descended from South Slavic converts to Islam, that lived in Bosnian Kingdom" is way too simple, but maybe enough for this type of anthropological article. Truly, Bosniaks are descendants not only of South Slavic converts to Islam who lived in medieval Bosnian Kingdom, but from larger base of South Slavic converts to Islam who lived in whole Central and Southeastern Europe (nowadays Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and other countries) and later on inhabited Bosnia and Herzegovina, when Ottoman Empire began to lose it's territories to Austria. :wink

Vrh

PostPostano: 11 tra 2014, 04:15 

Pessimus dux je napisao/la:
Ministry of Sound je napisao/la:

Also, he could be more precise with the term and adjective "Bosnian", because Neum is in the Herzegovinian part of country and that is properly described in one part of an article. So, when he reffers to Neum as part of the country (Bosnia and Herzegovina), he could use the adjective "Bosnian and Herzegovinian", and when he reffers to Neum as part of region Herzegovina, he could use the adjective "Herzegovinian".

Also, the description that "Bosniaks are a Southeast European ethnic group descended from South Slavic converts to Islam, that lived in Bosnian Kingdom" is way too simple, but maybe enough for this type of anthropological article. Truly, Bosniaks are descendants not only of South Slavic converts to Islam who lived in medieval Bosnian Kingdom, but from larger base of South Slavic converts to Islam who lived in whole Central and Southeastern Europe (nowadays Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and other countries) and later on inhabited Bosnia and Herzegovina, when Ottoman Empire began to lose it's territories to Austria. :wink

His quote actually said "Bosniak", and I said "Bosnian", because I assumed he made an error. I thought that he wanted to muse on why Neum isn't more "Bosnian", in the sense that it should somehow reflect the country that it is a part of (but then he would also fall in the trap of trying to define what "Bosnian" is, and how should a "Bosnian" town look).

I don't see why he would bring Bosnian Muslims aka Bosniaks into any context relating to Neum, outside of tourism. They most likely make up the bulk of tourists, but that context makes about as much sense as asking why Mallorca isn't more English or German?!

I should also clarify the results of the 1991. census which showed a population of 190 Bosnian Muslims in the municipality of Neum. Half of those lived in the villages of Rabrani and Cerovo, way out in the hinterland (30km), and closer to Stolac and Capljina.

The other issue you touch on is one of regional identity, but I didn't want to go into length, as the ethnic question dwarfs it. If he wants to discuss regional identities, and why someone from Herzegovina would be offended to be called a "Bosnian", or to have it used as a prefix when referring to their town, we can go into that as well.

When I see "Bosnian" (as an adjective in geography) in use by a foreigner, I just assume that it's for purposes of brevity, just like when I see "Trinidadian" used in a similar context for Trinidad and Tobago.

Vrh

PostPostano: 11 tra 2014, 12:58 

Hi, thank you very much to you all for the feedback I'll read all with a great care and I'll answer to you all with my feedback !!!
Thanks again
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 28 svi 2014, 11:44 

Hi to all,

I apologize for the delay in replying but I needed to think long and hard about the many suggestions and clarifications that you have proposed and that helped me to resolve some doubts.
Thank you again for your courtesy and I hope to steal a little 'time with some more questions:
1) If I understand well, there are no real boundary issues also because of the dual passports and so the border is perceived as a mere administrative "noise" and the major problems in the region should be during the summer when there is a greater presence of tourists and foreigners . Precisely in this regard, I wanted to ask you all, where can I find some datas on the number and the nationality of tourists in Neum to better understand from which part of Europe, apart from Bosnia, the tourists come from and what’s the impact they have on the society and the community of Neum. I want to know for example if they are perceived as a resource or a problem.
2) Reading your replies in other posts of the forum, it seemed to me that the concentration of "Bosniak" in Herzegovina is concentrated in a few villages in the interior, I think in the area of Stolac. Can you tell me where are located the majority of Bosniak? I’m planning to visit the villages to have a complete panorama. Are already available final data of the census? Where can I find them? There are already studies in English on the results of the census?
3) I read with attention and interest the post about the “Third” Croatian Entity and I’m fascinated by the proposals that are submitted to the forum. It also helped me to better understand the standpoint of the Croats in Bosnia. Although it is not the main subject of my essay, but I hope will be a future, I’m interesting to know how this debate is perceived by people in everyday life and if this debate really affected the mutual relations between Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks.
4) I'm planning to make a further period of field work , probably in July or August. Can you suggest a few places which you think may be emblematic for my research? I would also like to interview someone about these topics, can you report me someone in particular? I would, if it’s possible, meet some of you personally, to speak in front of a good rakia  on these issues. I'm sure it would be interesting. Some of you will be available? I'd be grateful.
It’ all for now, thanks again to all and I hope for your feedbacks.
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 28 svi 2014, 11:44 

Hi to all,

I apologize for the delay in replying but I needed to think long and hard about the many suggestions and clarifications that you have proposed and that helped me to resolve some doubts.
Thank you again for your courtesy and I hope to steal a little 'time with some more questions:
1) If I understand well, there are no real boundary issues also because of the dual passports and so the border is perceived as a mere administrative "noise" and the major problems in the region should be during the summer when there is a greater presence of tourists and foreigners . Precisely in this regard, I wanted to ask you all, where can I find some datas on the number and the nationality of tourists in Neum to better understand from which part of Europe, apart from Bosnia, the tourists come from and what’s the impact they have on the society and the community of Neum. I want to know for example if they are perceived as a resource or a problem.
2) Reading your replies in other posts of the forum, it seemed to me that the concentration of "Bosniak" in Herzegovina is concentrated in a few villages in the interior, I think in the area of Stolac. Can you tell me where are located the majority of Bosniak? I’m planning to visit the villages to have a complete panorama. Are already available final data of the census? Where can I find them? There are already studies in English on the results of the census?
3) I read with attention and interest the post about the “Third” Croatian Entity and I’m fascinated by the proposals that are submitted to the forum. It also helped me to better understand the standpoint of the Croats in Bosnia. Although it is not the main subject of my essay, but I hope will be a future, I’m interesting to know how this debate is perceived by people in everyday life and if this debate really affected the mutual relations between Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks.
4) I'm planning to make a further period of field work , probably in July or August. Can you suggest a few places which you think may be emblematic for my research? I would also like to interview someone about these topics, can you report me someone in particular? I would, if it’s possible, meet some of you personally, to speak in front of a good rakia  on these issues. I'm sure it would be interesting. Some of you will be available? I'd be grateful.
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 29 svi 2014, 16:01 

Hi to all,

1) If I understand well, there are no real boundary issues also because of the dual passports and so the border is perceived as a mere administrative "noise" and the major problems in the region should be during the summer when there is a greater presence of tourists and foreigners. Precisely in this regard, I wanted to ask you all, where can I find some datas on the number and the nationality of tourists in Neum to better understand from which part of Europe, apart from Bosnia, the tourists come from and what’s the impact they have on the society and the community of Neum. I want to know for example if they are perceived as a resource or a problem.

I can't speak for everyone, but yes, for those with Croatian (EU) passports, the border is not a big deal, you can get in and get out through the dedicated EU lane very quickly. But Neum is still cut-off from the rest of Herzegovina, and even getting to the hospital in Mostar is a problem, especially during the busy summer season.

I'll try to get data on the number of tourists (if it exists), but there is no breakdown by nationality. Maybe, just maybe, they have some rough idea on domestic (BiH) vs foreign guests.

Tourists are definitely a resource, everything in Neum is oriented towards hospitality (hotels, cafes, restaurants, shops). But as I said, due to the political situation in the country, you sometimes get tensions between the Bosnian Muslim tourists and the local Croats. But it's actually not that bad, when you consider the numbers involved, there almost ought to be more problems.

So the relationship between the tourists from Bosnia (mainly Muslims/Bosniaks) and the local Croats is best described by the English term "frenemy". They kind of need each other, but don't necessarily like each other (think China and USA).

Herzegovina doesn't have defined borders with Bosnia, but roughly speaking the cantons Zapadno Hercegovacki and Hercegovacko-Neretvanski are "Herzegovina" (I've excluded the Serbian Eastern Herzegovina in Republika Srpska).

The closest Bosnian Muslims/Bosniaks to Neum are those in Stolac. There are also large communities in Capljina and Mostar. Konjic and Jablanica to the north towards Sarajevo are almost 100% Bosnian Muslim, and also considered to be a part of Herzegovina.

The last official census is the one from 1991. The census of 2013 doesn't have results by ethnicity available yet (only for population in each municipality). We generally estimate the ethnic composition of each municipality by election results (you add up the votes for Croat and Muslim parties). Tell me which ones you need, and we can get you the election results.

All talk of new entities and territorial divisions is purely hypothetical, extremely speculative, and very unlikely to occur. The US and EU would never support new divisions, and you could never get consensus within the people of Bosnia (there isn't enough territory to satisfy everyone's appetites).

4) I'm planning to make a further period of field work , probably in July or August. Can you suggest a few places which you think may be emblematic for my research? I would also like to interview someone about these topics, can you report me someone in particular? I would, if it’s possible, meet some of you personally, to speak in front of a good rakia on these issues. I'm sure it would be interesting. Some of you will be available? I'd be grateful.
Damiano

I may be there in August, not sure yet, will confirm closer to the date, but in any case I can try to put you in touch with someone locally who speaks English and Italian (it surprised me how many people speak Italian).

Vrh

PostPostano: 29 svi 2014, 16:21 

Thanks a lot Ministry !!!

Vrh

PostPostano: 25 srp 2014, 17:30 

Hi to all,
I'm sorry for this delay but because of some personal problems It was impossible for me attend to my research in this last period. So also my fieldwork in Neum will be postponed in September. By the way, in the following days I'll submit at your courtesely attention a scratch of my future paper hoping that will be possible discuss on some topics. I hope that will be possible, altought probably you're on holydays :-) and naturally I thanks a lot again for your great pacience and attention.
See you in following days.
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 26 srp 2014, 07:20 

Hi to all,
I'm sorry for this delay but because of some personal problems It was impossible for me attend to my research in this last period. So also my fieldwork in Neum will be postponed in September. By the way, in the following days I'll submit at your courtesely attention a scratch of my future paper hoping that will be possible discuss on some topics. I hope that will be possible, altought probably you're on holydays :-) and naturally I thanks a lot again for your great pacience and attention.
See you in following days.
Damiano

I'll be there in early September, so we can catch up. Look forward to seeing your draft paper.

Vrh

PostPostano: 12 kol 2014, 18:06 

Hi to all,
In these hot very hot days I'm finally preparing my draft to submit to you all. During the lectures of some posts on english forum I was thinking about some questions to submit on some particular topics.
1) I'm very interesting on the ipotesis submited on the forum about the building of the Third entity and I'm interested to know more principally on the parish of Stjepan Krst, the recent story of the village, the changig in population and geography after the war etc ... because I think that will be important for my paper;
2) I read a lot of posts on Usora, can someone resume all the question?
3) On an anthropological point of view I think that your "croatian glossary" is really interesting and I think that will be an interesting point of view on the "real" Bosnia Hercegovina. What do you think abou this topic?
I hope to submit the new abstract of the paper before the weekend.
Good vacation to all
Damiano

Vrh

PostPostano: 20 kol 2014, 19:48 

Hi to all,
In these hot very hot days I'm finally preparing my draft to submit to you all. During the lectures of some posts on english forum I was thinking about some questions to submit on some particular topics.
1) I'm very interesting on the ipotesis submited on the forum about the building of the Third entity and I'm interested to know more principally on the parish of Stjepan Krst, the recent story of the village, the changig in population and geography after the war etc ... because I think that will be important for my paper;
2) I read a lot of posts on Usora, can someone resume all the question?
3) On an anthropological point of view I think that your "croatian glossary" is really interesting and I think that will be an interesting point of view on the "real" Bosnia Hercegovina. What do you think abou this topic?
I hope to submit the new abstract of the paper before the weekend.
Good vacation to all
Damiano

Apologies for the delay, I was away and only saw this today.

1. My old pal Stecak can answer anything (when he returns from his holidays) about the parish of Stjepan Krst, all I know is that my parents were married in the church there.
2. Usora - can you be more specific, what do you need?
3. Glossary - is this the HercegBosna.org glossary of terms? That is mainly political satire.

If you need anything on Neum, or are coming to Neum in the next few weeks let me know.

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2014, 20:28 

Damiano what specifically are you looking to learn about regarding the fate of the parish of Stjepan Krst?

In general the parish was part of the Stolac municipality - see image below:

slika

What you see is the pre war borders for the municipality of Stolac. The new border is defined by the thick black line splits the municipality in two. The Serbian controlled municipality is centered on the village Berkovići. The parish is comprised of three Croatian Villages, Stjepan Krst, Brštanik, and Ljubljenica and the village of Dabrica.

We can consider the parish as a micro region of Stolac.

The church has been rebuilt but I don't have any figures on returnees. Most people from the parish went Mostar, Stolac, and Čapljina and many have started to tend to their properties and homes in the parish. A number of houses has been rebuilt.

On this forum Stjepan Krst (as well as a few other places) gets mentioned as an area that should become part of a proposed Croatian entity. This theoretically would happen as part of a land swap between the Croatians and the Serbs. In this scenario Croatians would return Drvar, Glamoc and Grahovo in exchange for Stjepan Krst and a few other places like Komušina and either parts or or all of Posavina.

For some discussion on redrawing the Dayton borders take a look a this thread on the forum: topic1093.html it shows maps of places that could have become part of the Federation if the borders were shifted a few kilometers.

Vrh

Prikaži postove “stare”:  Redanje  
Započni novu temu Odgovori  [ 21 post(ov)a ] 

Vremenska zona: UTC + 01:00

Trenutno korisnika/ca: / i 9 gostiju.

Ne možeš započinjati nove teme.
Ne možeš odgovarati na postove.
Ne možeš uređivati svoje postove.
Ne možeš izbrisati svoje postove.
Ne možeš postati privitke.

Forum(o)Bir: