Sada je: 16 tra 2024, 21:49.

Vremenska zona: UTC + 01:00

Započni novu temu Odgovori  [ 878 post(ov)a ] 
Stranica Prethodna  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Sljedeća
Autor/ica Poruka
 Naslov: Re: Improve your English
PostPostano: 10 srp 2015, 14:38 

Lokacija: Multietnička federalna jedinica sa hrvatskom većinom
Which of these phrases sounds best in English?

- "acquire experience"
- "gain experience"
- "get experience"?

Vrh

PostPostano: 11 srp 2015, 10:47 

lider30 je napisao/la:

- "acquire experience"
- "gain experience"
- "get experience"?

You need to insert something specific before "experience". For example "get some on-the-job experience"

Vrh

PostPostano: 31 srp 2015, 00:21 

lider30 je napisao/la:
Where is our forum member Snowflake? She doesn't come often to the forum.

Somebody misses me I see..
No, I'm having a busy schedule at the moment, so I don't have the time.
But I'll drop by every so often.

Vrh

PostPostano: 31 srp 2015, 01:16 

lider30 je napisao/la:

- "acquire experience"
- "gain experience"
- "get experience"?

This is the site that you wanna check when in doubt about things like this.
It knows everything :zubati and it says that to gain experience is the most frequent and the most natural in spoken English nowadays.
http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/

Vrh

PostPostano: 31 srp 2015, 15:24 

However, Lider, your question actually referred to the most common collocations in English that are somewhat connected with the word you are interested in.
Here is an explaination about what collocations are, why they matter, how to learn them.
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/collocations.htm
collocation dictionaries:
http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/sear ... experience
http://www.ozdic.com/collocation-dictionary/experience

It's very useful to know your collocations.
But just to be sure, and to show you how to do this kind of search on your own, I've conducted three parallel searches: in Google, in collocation dictionaries and in Coca.
And I've come up with the same results.
So, to sum it up: you can ask uncle Google, you can ask Coca and once they are exhausted then you can ask the native speaker or the linguist :D
Just, kidding, hope this helps.

Vrh

PostPostano: 01 kol 2015, 14:52 

snowflake je napisao/la:
lider30 je napisao/la:

- "acquire experience"
- "gain experience"
- "get experience"?

This is the site that you wanna check when in doubt about things like this.
It knows everything :zubati and it says that to gain experience is the most frequent and the most natural in spoken English nowadays.
http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/

Thank you for answering the question. I hope you'll drop by more frequently.

Vrh

PostPostano: 18 kol 2015, 10:31 

How would you make the plural form of information and news?
I know that some students in Cro learn it and
some don't. So I want to know how many of you know the correct terms.
Moreover, this is a part of grammar that is often overlooked.
For this reason, this could prove useful.

Vrh

PostPostano: 18 kol 2015, 11:06 

snowflake je napisao/la:

The noun information (as well as the noun data for inst.) doesn't have plural form.

Vrh

PostPostano: 18 kol 2015, 12:41 

lider30 je napisao/la:
snowflake je napisao/la:

The noun information (as well as the noun data for inst.) doesn't have plural form.

An interesting answer. It's only half true :zubati
Information is so called uncountable noun, so it doesn't usually take a plural form.
News is the same thing, evidence is the same, data is not the same because it is the plural of latin datum.
But all of these can form plurals in the same way.

Just to make one thing clear, you never ever use informations or evidences in this sense, it's completely ungrammatical

There are two ways, you can use words like more, some, little. It's possible to say some information, some evidence little information etc.
But i'm curious about the second one? :zubati

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 11:47 

Nobody needs to because they didn't know the answer.
As it was mentioned earlier, this grammar unit was chosen because i knew it would most probably be unfamiliar to you.

One can make the plural form of these nouns using the phrase piece of/bit of... information, evidence, data.

Example

There are three pieces of information (evidence, data) available (in the computer, storage room etc.)

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 12:21 

So to summarize it.

1. Information can be used in singular.

Information is available.

2. It can be used along with the determiners that mean some undetermined quantity (some, little).
Here you can come close to making the plural form, but it still singular grammatically.

Some information is available.

3. You can use the phrase pieces of/bit of. That's the real plural.

I've gathered three pieces of information that are here for you to look at.

http://jakubmarian.com/information-is-v ... n-english/

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 12:23 

snowflake je napisao/la:
As it was mentioned earlier, this grammar unit was chosen because i knew it would most probably be unfamiliar to you.

One can make the plural form of these nouns using the phrase piece of/bit of... information, evidence, data.

Example

There are three pieces of information (evidence, data) available (in the computer, storage room etc.)

I have to admit, I've never heard for this phrase before.

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 18:05 

I only knew that evidence cannot be used in plural... this is so enlightening to me... so empowering.

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 20:16 

Tuta je napisao/la:
I only knew that evidence cannot be used in plural... this is so enlightening to me... so empowering.

Really, nobody has said something that kind to me. Ever. You are too good. :closedeyes
Seriously, there is no need for sarcasm, is there?
But, maybe I 'm taking myself a little to seriously, we language buffs tend to do that sometimes.
Peace, brother. :punk

Vrh

PostPostano: 21 kol 2015, 20:31 

lider30 je napisao/la:
snowflake je napisao/la:

Example

I have to admit, I've never heard for this phrase before.

Well, this was the point. I have the advantage that I'm a teacher and a linguist. So it's kind of my job.
But if I go to far and become a nuisance, everybody should feel free to say it.
Humility is something you can't get enough of.

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 00:49 

snowflake je napisao/la:
Tuta je napisao/la:

Really, nobody has said something that kind to me. Ever. You are too good. :closedeyes
Seriously, there is no need for sarcasm, is there?
But, maybe I 'm taking myself a little to seriously, we language buffs tend to do that sometimes.
Peace, brother. :punk

No, no... I really didn't know that. That part is serious... The empowering thing is a joke. :)

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 12:23 

Seeing native speakers get confused with "they're", "there" and "their" (I see 1 in 3 people get it wrong) and use them incorrectly can be annoying. Most people who have had to learn English from scratch understand the difference and use them correctly.

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 13:44 

I need an important and fast help. I wanna put subtitles in a video. Can you help me ti find mistakes in the text? Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAgtqKd7wg

Citat:
- In a a refugee camp near Capljina live Croats from Kakanj, Travnik, Zenica and Konjic.
- About fifty people, without any conditions for normal life.
- Their stories are sad, and they passed through a calvary because of town and state institutions, just to get what belongs to them.
- 80 years old Dragica Jenko from Kakanj lost her flat and now she lives in a shanty together with another displaced woman.
- I collected all the documents and submitted it to authorities, but the officer didnt give me acknowledgment of delivery... it was her mistake, not mine
- But, because of that i lost my flat. For the flat my husband worked for 43 years, and we have tenancy rights.
- Every day is the same to me. I am in a severe depression, always in the hut…
- Dragica even engaged a lawyer to help her, but municipal administration in Kakanj was relentless.
- They say that Dragica too late submited the documents for the flat.
But, Dragica is not exception. Franjo Subasic told us a similar story.
- In order to apply for reconstruction of his destroyed house first he had to change his ID.
- I asked her: - “Mrs., will my house be reconstructed”? – Oh no, we have no money and building materials for that”!
- I told her: - “I see, it'll never be done”. – She said with a smile: - “Probably you are right.”
- Then I had to come back here and make new ID again, (for the third time).
- In this “INDIAN RESERVATION” as refugees called it, every person is a specific story.
- I can't find better place for living… Look, Im wounded but I can't get any help. I have no money to pay hospital…
- Nobody can help me, though some people who are even not int he camp getting excessive help.
- Even my children doesn't want to contact me, as if I was a war criminal... In my life I did not hurt a fly.
- I lost all hope in life. I hope that a new world war will start. Something should hit the planet and destroy it!
- I'm so tired of living. My father is killed and burned in his house. I found just his bones. Therefore I have horrible traumas from the war.
- I would like that every human being be a refugee, because then we would understand each other.
- Beside refugees from Kakan jin the camp also lives refugees from Konjic.
- Mato Busic has been living 19 years in a roof leaky hut. He claims that his problem exists because municipal bureaucrats required a collective return of refugees in his willage.
- My late mother and I were registered for return. But an official told me: - Wait, all the poeple from your willage should return together, at same time.
- And I'm waiting for 20 years. In the meantime my mother died.
- Im 90% disabled, and have a small social assistance...
- I joined the army at sixteen, as a volunteer. I'm wounded in the war. I'm a disabled war veteran.
- Also, I am not entitled to an Croatian army pension, because I had no Evidence of Croatian nationality... although I fulfilled all other conditions.
- Now I'm receiving bosnian disability allowance which I'm spending just for medicines.
- There is a lot of jealousy in the camp, not love jealousy but “material”.
- Somehow, people here are too nervous, because... There is a nun from England.
- She gave big three-story houses to some people. When she come here we are like wolves full of gossips and complains because she did not give the houses to us.
- Or, for instance, she saw some young man without car and gave him money to buy an automobile.
- Therefore, people here are jealous sometimes.
- We are here like a flock of sheep without a shepherd. We have nothing..., without any reason to live, without any meaning of life.
- European Union since 1996 sent 500 milions euros for help to refugees in Bosnia.
- Together with resources of Bosnian institutions and governments budgets their problems should be solved or reduced.
- Or great part of that money finished in pockets of rich tycoons?

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 14:41 

Citat:
- A refugee camp near Capljina has been a makeshift home for over 20 years for Croats displaced from Kakanj, Travnik, Zenica and Konjic.
- About fifty people live there in appaling conditions
- Their stories are heartbreaking, and their plight is largely due to a variety of institutions denying them access to their property
- 80 year old Dragica Jenko from Kakanj lost her apartment and now she lives in a makeshift shanty together with another displaced woman
- I obtained all the required documents which I submitted to the authorities, but the case officer didn't give me acknowledgment of delivery... it was her mistake, not mine
- Because of that I lost the ownership rights to my apartment. My husband worked for 43 years for our home and we have tenancy rights.
- Every day feels the same. I suffer from acute depression, always in this shack...
- Dragica even sought a lawyer's assistance, but the municipal administration in Kakanj was relentless.
- They say that Dragica was late with her submission to regain her ownership rights.
But Dragica is not an exception to the rule. Franjo Subasic told us a similar story.
- In order to apply for reconstruction of his destroyed house, first he had to change his ID card.
- I asked her: - “Mrs., will my house be reconstructed”? –
- She replied: "Oh no, we have no money and building materials for that!”
- I told her: - “I see, so it'll never be done”. – She answered with a smile: - “You are probably right.”
- Then I had to come back here and apply for a new ID card again, (for the third time).
- In this “INDIAN RESERVATION” as refugees called it, every person has their unique story.
- I can't find anything better than this… Look, I'm wounded but I can't get any help. I have no money to pay for hospital treatment
- Nobody can help me, while people outside the camp get even more than they need
- Even my children don't want to contact me, as if I was a war criminal... In my whole life I didn't even hurt a fly.
- I've lost all hope in life. I hope that a new world war would start. Something should just hit the planet and destroy it!
- I'm so tired of living. My father was killed and set alight in his house. I only found his charred bones. This is why I still have horrible traumas from the war.
- I wish that other people could experience life as a refugee, because then they would understand my pain
- Other than refugees from Kakanj, the camp is a makeshift home for refugees from Konjic
- Mato Busic has been living for 19 years in a shack with a leaking roof. He claims that his problem exists because municipal bureaucrats required a collective return of all refugees from his village.
- My late mother and I were registered for return. But an official told me: - "Wait, all the people from your village need to return together, at same time."
- And so I've been waiting for the last 20 years. In the meantime my mother died.
- I'm 90% disabled, and receive a small assistance payment...
- I joined the army at sixteen, as a volunteer. I was wounded in the war. I'm a disabled war veteran.
- Also, I am not entitled to a Croatian army pension, because I had no evidence of Croatian nationality... although I fulfilled all other conditions.
- Now I'm receiving the Bosnian disability allowance which only covers the cost of medicines.
- There is a lot of jealousy in the camp, not traditional jealousy but envy for material possessions
- Somehow, people here are too nervous, because... There was a nun from England.
- She gave big three-story houses to some people. When she came here we were like a pack of wolves, then gossiping and complaining because we missed out.
- Or, for instance, she saw some young man without a car, so she gave him money to buy an automobile.
- Therefore, people here can be very envious sometimes.
- We are here like a flock of sheep without a shepherd. We have nothing..., without any reason to live, without any meaning of life.
- The EU has donated $500 million Euros starting in 1996 for refugee assistance programs in Bosnia
- Combined with the resources of Bosnian institutions and government budgets their problems should have been solved or mitigated.
- Or did the majority of that money end up in the pockets of rich tycoons?

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 16:54 

Ministry of Sound je napisao/la:
Citat:
- A refugee camp near Capljina has been a makeshift home for over 20 years for Croats displaced from Kakanj, Travnik, Zenica and Konjic.
- About fifty people live there in appaling conditions
- Their stories are heartbreaking, and their plight is largely due to a variety of institutions denying them access to their property
- 80 year old Dragica Jenko from Kakanj lost her apartment and now she lives in a makeshift shanty together with another displaced woman
- I obtained all the required documents which I submitted to the authorities, but the case officer didn't give me acknowledgment of delivery... it was her mistake, not mine
- Because of that I lost the ownership rights to my apartment. My husband worked for 43 years for our home and we have tenancy rights.
- Every day feels the same. I suffer from acute depression, always in this shack...
- Dragica even sought a lawyer's assistance, but the municipal administration in Kakanj was relentless.
- They say that Dragica was late with her submission to regain her ownership rights.
But Dragica is not an exception to the rule. Franjo Subasic told us a similar story.
- In order to apply for reconstruction of his destroyed house, first he had to change his ID card.
- I asked her: - “Mrs., will my house be reconstructed”? –
- She replied: "Oh no, we have no money and building materials for that!”
- I told her: - “I see, so it'll never be done”. – She answered with a smile: - “You are probably right.”
- Then I had to come back here and apply for a new ID card again, (for the third time).
- In this “INDIAN RESERVATION” as refugees called it, every person has their unique story.
- I can't find anything better than this… Look, I'm wounded but I can't get any help. I have no money to pay for hospital treatment
- Nobody can help me, while people outside the camp get even more than they need
- Even my children don't want to contact me, as if I was a war criminal... In my whole life I didn't even hurt a fly.
- I've lost all hope in life. I hope that a new world war would start. Something should just hit the planet and destroy it!
- I'm so tired of living. My father was killed and set alight in his house. I only found his charred bones. This is why I still have horrible traumas from the war.
- I wish that other people could experience life as a refugee, because then they would understand my pain
- Other than refugees from Kakanj, the camp is a makeshift home for refugees from Konjic
- Mato Busic has been living for 19 years in a shack with a leaking roof. He claims that his problem exists because municipal bureaucrats required a collective return of all refugees from his village.
- My late mother and I were registered for return. But an official told me: - "Wait, all the people from your village need to return together, at same time."
- And so I've been waiting for the last 20 years. In the meantime my mother died.
- I'm 90% disabled, and receive a small assistance payment...
- I joined the army at sixteen, as a volunteer. I was wounded in the war. I'm a disabled war veteran.
- Also, I am not entitled to a Croatian army pension, because I had no evidence of Croatian nationality... although I fulfilled all other conditions.
- Now I'm receiving the Bosnian disability allowance which only covers the cost of medicines.
- There is a lot of jealousy in the camp, not traditional jealousy but envy for material possessions
- Somehow, people here are too nervous, because... There was a nun from England.
- She gave big three-story houses to some people. When she came here we were like a pack of wolves, then gossiping and complaining because we missed out.
- Or, for instance, she saw some young man without a car, so she gave him money to buy an automobile.
- Therefore, people here can be very envious sometimes.
- European Union has donated $500 million Euros starting in 1996 for refugee assistance programs in Bosnia
- Combined with the resources of Bosnian institutions and government budgets their problems should have been solved or mitigated.
- Or did the majority of that money end up in the pockets of rich tycoons?

It's excellent translation, of course.
Just, shouldn't it be the EU?
I won't comment on the content of the article.

Vrh

PostPostano: 22 kol 2015, 17:02 

Yes, an oversight, I've replaced it with "The EU".

Vrh

PostPostano: 26 kol 2015, 10:39 

Could anyone explain an accurate use and differences among the words:

smell, scent, fragrance and odor?

Vrh

PostPostano: 26 kol 2015, 12:17 

lider30 je napisao/la:
Could anyone explain an accurate use and differences among the words:

smell, scent, fragrance and odor?

They are almost synonyms.
To smell is the most neutral in style.
All of them mean to perceive something using the sense of smell.
But, a scent can also mean to pick up a trail (of an animal by a dog).
I would use odor exclusively as a bad smell, stink, although dictionaries say it can have the meaning of a neutral smell.
Fragrance is something that smells pleasantly, the derived meaning of the word is perfume.

Fragrance and scent are a little bit higher in style.
Especially if you aren't a native speaker.

Vrh

PostPostano: 26 kol 2015, 12:35 

Scent, other than the trail focused - "the hounds picked up his scent", generally also has pleasant connotations (eg Scent of a woman).

There is also "aroma", which refers to more esoteric and exotic scents, but it is generally used in the context of food and beverages.

Vrh

PostPostano: 26 kol 2015, 20:35 

Some opposite words:

slika

Vrh

Prikaži postove “stare”:  Redanje  
Započni novu temu Odgovori  [ 878 post(ov)a ]  Stranica Prethodna  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Sljedeća

Vremenska zona: UTC + 01:00

Trenutno korisnika/ca: / i 9 gostiju.

Ne možeš započinjati nove teme.
Ne možeš odgovarati na postove.
Ne možeš uređivati svoje postove.
Ne možeš izbrisati svoje postove.
Ne možeš postati privitke.

Forum(o)Bir: